What is the Winter Fuel Payment or Allowance?
The Winter Fuel Payment is a tax-free payment made to you to help with heating costs in the winter.
The effort involved in getting paid the Winter Fuel Payment is minimal and you should seriously consider following this advice and these guidelines in order to get it!
Rising heating costs and bouts of extreme cold (look at the Winter just gone!) can be difficult for the elderly to deal with. Awareness of the Winter Fuel Payment is not where it should be, many elderly people who qualify simply do not bother with it or do not know about it. It is important that anyone who can obtain this does so, even if it means other members of the family assisting.
Do I qualify?
In order to obtain the Winter Fuel Payment, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You were born before or on the day of November 5th 1953
- You have lived in the UK at least for one day between 17th and 23rd September 2018 (this is this years’ qualifying week)
You will not qualify if:
- You lived in a care home between 25th June and 17th September 2018
- Were in prison during the qualifying week
- Are in hospital and have been receiving free treatment for more than a year
- Need permission to enter the UK
How much is the Winter Fuel Allowance?
The amount you get for the Winter Fuel Payment depends on a few circumstances, this helpful chart below explains:
*Pension Credit, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support
** Your partner getting the benefit will get the Winter Fuel Payment on your behalf
How do I get the Winter Fuel Payment?
If you have received the payment before, you should get it automatically.
If you have never received the Winter Fuel Payment, you will need to complete the following steps:
Call the Winter Fuel Payment Centre, before you call, you will need:
- Bank Details
- National Insurance Number
- Date married (if appropriate)
Winter Fuel Payment Centre
Telephone: 0800 731 0160
Telephone from outside the UK: +44 (0)191 218 7777
Textphone: 0800 731 0464
Textphone from outside the UK: +44 (0)191 218 7280
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
You can also claim for the Winter Fuel Payment via post, more details can be found about this here.